The idea of "feeling good" has taken on a different meaning since the pandemic. Clmbr, Eight Sleep, Therabody, and others...
19M women in the US alone, and almost 50% of women 50+, live with bladder leaks
Yet the nearly $10B incontinence industry has only ever provided them with chemical-laden products that cause painful skin irritation.
If you are one of those 19M women with bladder leaks, you are likely using multiple disposable pads and/or briefs to avoid leaks, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. That means that the top sheet of whatever products you are using (i.e. the all-important layer that sits right next to some of your most vulnerable, porous skin) is touching your skin all. the. time.
Conventional incontinence pads and briefs (think: Depend, Poise, Tena, and others) use top sheets that are made entirely from harsh chemicals and non-renewable resources:
- Conventional products use top sheets made from petroleum, treated with chlorine bleach, and embellished with synthetic dyes and fragrances.
- These ingredients cause varying degrees of skin irritation, ranging from mild discomfort to painful irritation, itchy rashes, and swollen, inflamed skin.
- Conventional products are made entirely from non-renewable resources that are deeply damaging to our environment and leave a massive carbon footprint.
Despite the remarkable innovation around cleaner, greener, more thoughtful options across virtually all CPG sectors, the incontinence and larger personal care category for women 40+ remains dominated by chemical-laden, outdated legacy products and stale, uninspired brands.
Not so fun fact: It’s so bad that the same big-box brands that stock the aisle where these products are sold call it the “Aisle of Death.”
We knew there had to be a better way. So we're building it.
Clean, curated essentials for every aging woman
At Attn: Grace, we believe in a world where women are seen and celebrated as we age; that personal care should actually be personal; and that while our needs may change over time, our standards only get higher.
We began with incontinence, where we had a personal connection and saw an opportunity to disrupt a painfully unevolved space.
We revolutionized how incontinence products are made, using our CLN Design™ technology to create the first-ever line of liners, pads, briefs and wipes that replace the plastics, petroleum and other toxins found in conventional products with a green PE (polyethylene) made from gentle, upcycled sugar cane waste.
The result is a product that provides absorption and moisture-wicking capabilities that outperform premium, big-box brands, without the painful skin irritation caused by conventional incontinence products.
The most common response we get from women who try our products for the first time? "The difference is night and day."
Our bodies evolve. It's high time the products we use to care for them do as well.
Clean ingredients, unparalleled performance, and a smaller environmental footprint
Launch collection: incontinence
The concept behind our flagship product line is pretty straightforward: we've designed the cleanest, greenest, highest-performing liners, pads and briefs for women living with bladder leaks that the $10B incontinence market has ever seen.
Our products outperform all of the premium, big box brands, including Poise, Tena, Depend and Always Discreet Boutique.
Superior top sheet
- 100% plant-based, made from soft, woven sugar cane fibers that wick away moisture without causing irritation.
Thinner, more thoughtful shape
- Provides comfort, discretion and peace of mind, trapping leaks in a powerfully absorbent inner core.
- No Leaks.
- No Odor.
- No Irritation.
And, no surprise, women are LOVING them:
In a recent survey, 95% of women found our products to be more absorbent, more comfortable and cause less irritation than leading premium brands.
Fun facts: We were recently named One of the 25 Fastest-Growing DTC Brands by Business Insider and just landed a spot on Fast Company’s list of the Most Innovative Companies of 2022.
Our skin-safe promise™
Our products incorporate the cleanest, most sustainable materials possible without ever compromising on performance.
What that means for women:
- We’ll never expose her skin to toxic chemicals.
- We’ll always be transparent about our ingredients, sourcing and manufacturing.
- We’ll always choose plant-based, renewable ingredients that are Naturally Better™.
Beautiful, discreet, earth-friendly packaging
Our incontinence products are packaged in either a Green PE, or, in the case of our liners, a paper box sourced from sustainably forested tree-pulp. All of our packaging is fully recyclable.
While the incontinence market alone presents a massive disruptive opportunity, we’re simultaneously expanding seamlessly into the larger $26 billion personal care market for women 40+, tackling what we affectionately call the “inconvenient truths” of aging.
Having established ourselves as the new gold standard for incontinence care, we’re deepening our relationship with women and expanding their skin-safe routines.
All Natural Barrier Cream
Gentle-yet-effective formula that naturally promotes rapid healing due to excessive dryness or prolonged wetness.
“INCREDIBLE. I call it my fix-it cream.” - Laura F.
All Natural Deodorant
Nourish your skin while providing long-lasting odor protection — no harsh chemicals, no aluminum, no talc, and no synthetic fragrances.
“So glad I tried this. Works great on my super sensitive skin!” -Kathleen M.
Daily Renew Body Oil
A powerful blend of omega-rich, antioxidant-filled botanical oils that deeply restore your skin from the inside out.
“Been using this daily before bed and my skin feels so much healthier and noticeably less dry.” - Joanne W.
Scaling to $30M+ ARR over the next 21 months
We nailed product-market fit out of the gate with a product that outperforms big-box premium brands, and that she needs to use every day, multiple times a day.
- In the last 12 months alone, more than 8K women have made the switch from conventional big-box brands to our skin-safe, eco-conscious products.
- 5x increase in revenue since January 2021
- Closed 2021 (our first full year of sales) just under $1M in revenue
- Drove a 273% increase in total net sales from Q1 to Q4
- >80% of our revenue comes from subscription purchasers
- Increased our AOV by 92% over the last 12 months
- 11X increase in Amazon sales since June ’21 launch
- > 53% decrease in CAC
- Approaching break-even CAC to first AOV
We are projecting $3M in total DTC revenue for 2022, in addition to several contracts with major retailers to bring our products closer to our customers.
We’re capitalizing on a powerful first-mover advantage to drive exponential growth in the natural incontinence and larger personal care category for older women.
And...we're getting noticed.
She was nobody's brand darling. Until now.
We believe in a world where women are seen and celebrated as we age. One collection, one conversation, at a time, we’re building the world we want to see, alongside Naturally Better™ solutions for her changing needs.
We started with UI, one of the most highly stigmatized health issues affecting women today
This has presented a powerful opportunity to build a uniquely personal relationship with our customers via our DTC model:
- ...away from the bright lights of pharmacy aisles
- ...grounded in trust
- ...supported by a community-and-conversation driven approach
- ...and an authentic ''for us, by us'' model.
Culture and community
We're giving women not just something to buy, but something to buy into. Through multiple touchpoints, we've created a welcoming, rich, dynamic, safe space for women to connect on all things related to our health and wellness as we age.
- Customer engagement: We bring a stellar, human-centric approach to building and maintaining customer relationships.
- Our resource library: Knowing the incontinence journey is a lonely and highly stigmatized one, we've earned her trust by providing access to information about her health and wellness, including a nation-wide, searchable database of health and wellness practitioners who can directly support her, and facilitating conversations around the sometimes uncomfortable realities of aging as a woman in our culture. We're living up to our promise of "a better way" and empowering her around her wellness journey.
- Content series and social media: We're adding depth and texture to what it means to be aging, building credibility through deep understanding and expert connections, as well as rich storytelling that honors women as the multidimensional protagonists that they are.
Her wellness journey matters
Launching a DTC business for everyday essentials during a pandemic...
...fostered both impressive growth
and deep customer relationships.
This growth is further fueled by (1) a product customers love and need to use daily and typically multiple times a day, making it ideal for a subscription/repeat purchase model; (2) our rapid expansion across our DTC and Amazon channels; (3) upcoming strategic expansion to brick-and-mortar retail.
This year, we’re on track to:
- 10x our growth on our DTC channel
- 10x our growth on Amazon
- Launch into at least 5 new e-commerce channels
- Launch into 150+ brick-and-mortar stores nationwide
A strong e-commerce business, ready to expand
We've launched and achieved our current traction on DTC channels alone with ~80% of our revenue attributed to subscriptions.
In June’21, we launched on Amazon, and we are excited to launch on big box e-commerce sites nationwide in Q3 of 2022.
In the last year, we've achieved:
- 5x increase in revenue since January 2021
- >53% decrease in CAC
- Over 80% of monthly revenue coming from subscriptions
- 2X improvement in AOV since January 2021
- 2X improvement in GM from June to December
- 3000+ stores by 2023
We’ve established a strong customer base, giving us the leverage we need to rapidly expand into brick-and-mortar retail over the next 18 months.
And we're ready to scale with the support of our world-class manufacturing partners.
- Fast-growing, global partner with 9 facilities world-wide 100%
- Family-owned, 100% carbon neutral factories
- Dedicated focus on sustainability and resource efficiency
- Uninterrupted access to the cleanest, most innovative raw materials
- New, patented packaging design will enable us to be first-to-market with 100% recycled bags. (Q3 2022)
Our Global Presence
“In any industry, the first brand to transform its outreach to the 50-plus set could win over millions of consumers — consumers with more money to spend than their children.”
– Harvard Business Review
Attn: Grace has a hugely strategic, first-mover advantage in the personal care category for older women.
There are currently 63 million women over the age of 50 in the U.S. alone
- At least 50% of those women (31.5 million women) are living with urinary incontinence (a $10B market)
- All of those women have personal care needs that are either unmet entirely or grossly underserved (a $25B market)
Unlike the personal care space for younger women that has been disrupted by dozens of innovative personal care startups—including Billie, Thinx, This is L and others—the personal care space for older women is massive and still virtually untouched.
This market power of people over age 50, who are responsible for more than half of consumer spending in the United States:
For the first time in US history, the elderly, those 65+, are projected to outnumber children, a 92% increase (from 2016 to 2060). (United State Census Bureau).
- Today’s 50+ consumer controls nearly 50% of consumer spending (Harvard Business Review)
- 59% of older consumers express a preference for natural incontinence products, while 58% believe that brands should offer more sustainable incontinence products (source)
- Americans age 50 and up contribute so much to the U.S. economy that they’d constitute the world’s third-largest economy if they were counted as their own country, a major new AARP study finds (source)
- Positive growth across adult incontinence will occur over the next five years with a projection of $14 billion in retail sales by the year 2025 (source)
- Growth in the adult-diaper market is outpacing that of every other paper-based household staple (Bloomberg)
- An uptick in adult incontinence sufferers has made this category not only the fastest growing absorbent hygiene category, but also the most rapidly proliferating segment as manufacturers work hard to meet the ever changing needs of these consumers (source)
The incontinence category is dominated by two incumbents,
P&G and Kimberly Clark,
who together own ~64% of the market:
All of these legacy products use the same chemical-laden design, including petroleum-based top sheets that are treated with chlorine bleach, synthetic dyes and synthetic fragrances.
And they're all bulky and uncomfortable. We routinely hear from our customers that other incontinence pads feel "like a mattress" between their legs.
The handful of startups that have entered the space are white-labeling the same legacy options and fail to provide any actual innovation at the product level.
How we're raising the bar:
"The difference is night and day."
Becoming the market leader in personal care for women 40+
The category is up for grabs,
and here's how we are going to win it.
Proof point: The Honest Company
1. Launch (key market gap):
Diapers (take care of baby)
2. Scale (demographic breadth):
Home Cleaning Care (take care of your home)
3. Expand (share of wallet depth):
Beauty (take care of mama, too)
Our Exit Opportunities
Unlike the personal care space for younger women that has been disrupted by dozens of innovative personal care startups, including Billie, Thinx, This is L and others, the personal care space for older women is massive and still virtually untouched.
Attn: Grace is disrupting a massive, sleepy category that is dominated by two of the world's biggest CPG giants, Kimberly Clark and P&G.
Much like what Harry's and Dollar Shave Club did in the razor space (where Gillette and Edgewell had historically dominated market share), we're forging an entirely new way of engaging with our consumer—providing her with products that are far superior to current big-box offerings, and supporting her with impeccable customer service, content and community.
There are any number of possible exit scenarios for Attn: Grace, including acquisition by a CPG conglomerate (P&G, Kimberly Clark, Unilever, Edgewell, others), a medical supply conglomerate (Medline, Cardinal Health), a pharmaceutical company like J&J and many others.
Recent analogous exits in the CPG space include:
- Thinx, acquired by Kimberly Clark in 2022 (price undisclosed) (source: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/kimberly-clark-acquires-majority-interest-in-thinx-301490258.html)
- Billie, acquired by Edgewell in 2021 for $310M (source: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/edgewell-personal-care-announces-acquisition-of-billie-inc-301433210.html)
- This is L, acquired by P&G for a reported $100M in 2019 (source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/berenicemagistretti/2019/02/06/fembeat-pg-acquires-organic-period-care-startup-this-is-l/?sh=7168db237bb6)
- Dollar Shave Club, acquired by Unilever for $1B in 2016 (source: https://www.unilever.com/news/press-and-media/press-releases/2016/unilever-acquires-dollar-shave-club/)
A co-founder team driven by innovation and empathy, and expert in ownable differentiation
- 2-time Entrepreneur, previous successful exit
- Nominated for Forbes 50 over 50
- Cared for her aging mother with UI
- Patent Attorney within MD&D
- Inc. Female Founders 100
- Wellness Enthusiast
- Pelvic floor prolapse with UI